- The Conversation Canada. Lauren McNamara and Pasi Sahlberg, Kids will need recess more than ever when returning to school post-coronavirus. May 31, 2020. Reprinted in Today's Parent, CBC Global News, The Conversation Australia, and many others (over 40,000 reads in the first two weeks).
- Global Recess Alliance. McNamara, L., London, R., Ramstetter, C., Baines, E., Beresin, A., Claassen, J., Doyle, W., Hyndman, B., Jarrett, O., Massey,W., Rhea, D. (2020). School re-opening? Make sure children have time for daily recess.
- The Register. McNamara, Brussoni, Welsh, & Zakaria The Recess Report: Connecting School Engagement with Academic Success. Ontario Principals' Council, p. 26-31. 2019
- Newcities.org. McNamara, L. (in press). How do you solve a problem like recess? Leveraging research to address the SDGs. Invited expert author, The Big Picture Series.
- Physical and Health Education Canada. McNamara, L. with Physical Health Education Canada. The Role of Recess in Canadian Elementary Schools: National Position Paper and statement. 2019, In Press - coming soon!
- Recess Project Canada. McNamara, L. The Recess Project Changemaker’s Guide. Aligned with the United Conventions on the Rights of the Child. Includes staff training, student training, equipment lists, templates, and best practices.
- Canadian Journal of School Psychology. Lodewyk, McNamara, Sullivan. Associations between Elementary Students’ Victimization, Peer Belonging, Affect, Physical Activity, and Enjoyment by Gender During Recess. 2019
- Journal of Teaching In Physical Education. Lodewyk & McNamara. A mixed-methods study of children's recess enjoyment, affect, and preferences during recess. 2019
- Canadian Journal of Action Research. McNamara & Walker "It is just too fun to explain: A qualitative analysis of The Recess Project in seven lower-socioeconomic elementary schools." 2018
- Journal of Contemporary Issues in Education. McNamara et al The influence of a recess intervention on children’s sense of belonging and enjoyment. 2018
- Children and Schools. McNamara et al Recess in elementary school: A study of belongingness, affect, and victimization on the playground. 2018
- Disability and Health Journal. McNamara et al Recess and children with disabilities: A mixed-method pilot study. 2018
- Cambridge Handbook of Play. McNamara Recess: Supporting a Culture of Meaningful Play at School (in the Cambridge Handbook of Play) 2018 Cambridge University Press.
- Health Promotion International. McNamara et al School recess, social connectedness and health: A Canadian Perspective. 2015
- International Journal of Play. McNamara et al Tales from the playground: Transforming the context of recess through collaborative action research. 2014
- Canadian Journal of Action Research. McNamara What's getting in the way of play? An analysis of the contextual factors that hinder recess in elementary schools. 2013
- Alberta Journal of Education Research. Lodewyk & McNamara, Victimization, Physical Activity, and Affective Outcomes During Recess in Students with and Without Disabilities. 2020
Simon Fraser University. McNamara (nee Mesa) Technology Integration and the School Change Process. 2005.
Other Graduate Work
Center for Children and Technology. Technology Integration in Chicago Public Elementary Schools, 1997-1998
Course Designs (University)
I've taught university students, particularly pre-service teachers, for over 15 years. I learn the most through teaching.
- Social Relationships and Health. Biological, psychosocial, and physiological connections between relationships and health trajectories.
Development of Peer Relationships. Influences of peer relationships on cognitive, social and emotional development. Topics included social competence, social influence, aggression and bullying.
- Inclusion in Schools, Family, and Society. Philosophical and practical issues of inclusion of children and youth with disabilities in the family, schools and the community.
- Globalization and Children. How processes of globalization influence the everyday lives and overall development of children: A focus on the Millennium Development Goals and Sustainable Development Goals.
Development of Self and Identity in Young Children. Multidisciplinary exploration of the development of self and identity in childhood and adolescence, focusing on classic and contemporary theoretical frameworks. Topics included distinction between self-as-subject and self-as-object, unity versus multiplicity in the self, and social construction of selfhood.
- Family Violence and Maltreatment. Conflict within modern family relationships. Contemporary research on spousal violence, power and decision-making, sexual abuse and child abuse. Socio-historical factors contributing to increased family stress. Institutional and interpersonal strategies for reducing family conflict.
- Peer Cultures. Survey of peer cultures emphasizing social structural and interpretive understandings of peer group formation and their impact on child and youth identity.
Developmental Psychology. Basic concepts and contemporary issues in the psychological development of children: cognition, psychosocial, memory, motivation, and learning.
- Risk Taking in Children and Youth. Topics included youth lifestyle choices, problem behaviour theory, risk and protective factors, competence, and developmental pathways in the context of community, family, peer, and intrapersonal factors.
- Abnormal Psychology. Evaluate clinical syndromes ranging from the mild patterns of personality pathology to the more severe disorders. Examination of techniques involved in the diagnosis of disorders and the types of therapy available.
- Community Psychology. The application of psychological principles to social issues such as child abuse, homelessness, school violence, racism, crime, and chemical dependency. Topics related to community psychology include theories of community psychology, research methods, community mental health, prevention programs, the community practitioner as social change agent, and applications of community psychology to other settings and situations.
- Models of Stress and Adaptation. Examination of psychological models of stress, stressors, and resources for adjustment and growth.
- Qualitative Research Design. Introduction to qualitative and applied approaches in the multidisciplinary study of children and youth, emphasizing theoretical foundations, research design, data collection, and analysis.
- Children's Learning in a Digital World. Multidisciplinary perspectives on the use and impact of digital media: immersive worlds, social networking, cyber-bullying, world wide web applications, communication patterns, boundaries and responsibilities within cyberspace.